Friday, August 24, 2012

A Brief List of Some of My Favorite Workout DVDs

It can be difficult to know where to begin when it comes to finding what workout you like. Personally I prefer to workout at home. I don't have to worry about going to a gym, or worry about what the weather might be like. So, here are a few of the workouts I've enjoyed doing at home:

Walk Away the Pounds: These are great workouts for people who are just starting to exercise. They range from one to five miles and Leslie Sansone is extremely motivating. The workout structure is basically walking in place with other moves added in such as kicks, stepping side to side, leg kick backs, and she also adds in arm movement. You also have a choice of using weights or stretchy band which help to build muscle.

Biggest Loser: The biggest loser workouts are more for people who are in an intermediate stage of fitness, but with some modifications a person just beginning can do these workouts as well. You can choose between Jillian Michaels and Bob Harper. Personally I prefer Bob because he is more motivating and challenges you but makes exercising fun. There are a few variations of the Biggest Loser workout dvds, I did the Last Chance workout with Jillian and Cardio Max Weight Loss with Bob. Both workouts are a mix between cardio and strength training. Be prepared to feel SWEAT!

Tae Bo: I love Billy Blanks Tae Bo. He is very motivating and there is a separate tutorial portion on the dvd to help you get better acquainted with the moves. They workout is a mix between martial arts, boxing and dance moves. There are punches, kicks, twists, and strength training moves. It can be really tough at times so make sure you are at a fitness level to safely do the workouts. The Tae Bo line has quite a few dvds but my favorite are Tae Bo: This is Tae Bo, Tae Bo Get Ripped, and Tae Bo Cardio Explosion. And remember, like Billy Blanks says, "You gotta push through the fire."

Fitness Blender: This is an excellent source for free workouts online. They have everything from High Intensity Interval training, to strength training, Pilates, and beginner workouts. The people who put it together, Daniel and Kelli, do an amazing job. The workouts are often broken up into two or three rounds of a few different exercises and they often tell you what exercises you are doing and they give an estimate of how many calories you burn during each exercise.

Bob Harper Total Body Transformation: This workout is tough. Again make sure you can do strength training and cardio for an extended period of time. I love Bob because he helps you to get in the shape you want to be in. This is also another workout with a mix of cardio and strength training. There are squats with weighted arms swings, plyo sumo squats, dive bombers, around the world push-ups and more. This workout is definitely a challenge. In fact he states in the video that he get asked for help a lot with people wanting to break their plateaus, and that is exactly what this workout will do.

I currently switch between Tae Bo, Bobs Total Body Transformation, and fitness blender for my workouts. Maybe give some of these workouts a try and see how they work for you.

I hope this has helped. If you have any suggestions, feedback, or questions feel free to leave a comment.

1 comment:

  1. I love Walk Away The Pounds, I think Leslie Sansone is perfect at making things accessible and encouraging you without being a cheerleader/cheesy. I do her 2 mile WATP whenever I'm feeling like I might not have the energy to do something really hard. I remember doing tae bo when it first came out, I should try it again 'cause I liked it.

    ReplyDelete