Thursday, February 21, 2013

Weight Loss and Mental Disorders


 When you suffer from a mental disorder it can be very difficult to find the motivation to lose weight, but often times when you do suffer from a mental disorder it isn't just about motivation. I have suffered from depression, anxiety and obsessive compulsive disorder for as long as I can remember and through life changes and medication losing weight wasn't just about getting up and exercising or eating healthy, you have to be in the right mind set to start on your weight loss journey.
   If you are currently overweight and are suffering from a mental disorder there are a few factors you should think about when starting your weight loss journey:


Medication: When I was younger I went through a lot of trial and error as far as medication went. I started taking anti depressants and anti psychotics at six years old. At some point soon after my mother realized that being on these medications at such an early age was not a good idea and with the help of my family physician I was eventually weened off of the meds. When I was about eight years old I started back on medications, I also started going through puberty and I also started gaining weight. By the time I was ten years old I weighed over 200 pounds. Throughout my teen years I was overweight and I believe that the medications I took had a part in that. I stopped taking all medications for a number of reasons by the time I was eighteen. I really didn't have weight loss in mind at the time that I stopped taking my meds, but I noticed that after I stopped taking them it became easier for me to lose weight once I started my weight loss journey.

The point that I am trying to make is that there are certain medications, especially those for depression, that can contribute to weight gain. I am in no way telling you to stop the medications you are taking but I want you to be aware that if you are having difficulty with weight loss or you started putting on weight after getting on medication  and you are exercising and eating right that it isn't your fault. There are a few things you can do, one is to find out how many calories you need in a day to maintain your weight or to lose weight, to get a rough estimate you can visit this website or you can visit a healthcare provider.

If even after changing your diet and exercise habits you are still having difficulty with your weight you should talk to your doctor about what you can do or possibly discuss getting on a medication that interferes with your metabolism less.

Support System: Even if you don't suffer from mental disorders it is always good to have some sort of support system. I know that there are those of you that suffer from mental disorders that have family and friends that unfortunately do not understand what you are going through. I know that this can be difficult because you feel like there is no one to turn to. If you can  see a therapist of some kind, please do. I know that some people will not have access to a therapist because they don't have health insurance, but there are places that offer sliding scale counseling and mental help so if you are able, please look into getting professional help. In the meantime if you are unable to get into therapy you can try online support groups. There are many websites and forums for every mental disorder. Just know that whatever you are going through, you are not the only one and you are not alone.

Mindset: Changing your mindset is probably one of the most difficult things to do when it comes to weight loss and mental disorders. Although it can be difficult it is possible. At this point in my life sometimes doing a workout is the only thing I do for the day. I still have days where I feel like I can't get out of bed or I feel hopeless but I will make it a point to do a workout because I know that even if it's only by a fraction of a percent, I will feel better after exercising. Even if I feel like I'm no good, or I don't want to be here anymore, or my mental disorders are too much to handle, I know that exercising will improve my body and mind.

Whether it's hard for you to start out or stay on track there are a few things to keep in mind, first that changing or making new habits takes time. Whether it's changing your relationship and how you think about food, or how you feel about exercise to the outlook on your appearance, these changes aren't going to happen overnight so be patient.

Remember throughout this entire process whatever you do, be kind to yourself. You will have slip ups and you will have bad days but don't let that discourage you. Know that losing weight takes time and effort and patience. Nobody is going to lose this weight for you, you have to do it yourself and once you start on your journey it will positively flow over into other aspects of your life. It will help to improve your body and mind and although losing weight will not be a cure all, it will help.

Also keep in mind that your goal of losing weight shouldn't just be about being skinny because in the end the way you look just by itself isn't going to make you happy. You have to realize that to lose weight and keep it off for good you have to change your outlook.

When you have a mental disorder it can be hard to see past the thoughts that you have about yourself, whether you are feeling worthless or you feel like giving up, whatever negative thoughts you have about yourself you can change. It takes time, but whenever you have a negative thought be mindful and in that moment change it to a positive thought, like, "I deserve good things" or "I will get through this", even if you don't believe the positive thoughts at first, the more you replace those negative thoughts with positive ones the better you will feel and eventually you will know that the positive things you tell yourself are true.

I hope that this has helped you. If you have feedback or blog suggestions please leave a comment. Thank you for reading and take care!

No comments:

Post a Comment